The Cathedral began as the Mission in 1853, on the opposite side of the River Ness. Bishop Robert Eden decided that the Cathedral for the united Diocese should be in Inverness and in July 1862 excavations for the new Cathedral began, to plans by Alexander Ross, which were to prove to be his masterpiece. The foundation stone of this, the first new Cathedral to be completed in Great Britain since the Reformation, was laid in 1866 by the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Cathedral was opened for public worship in 1869.
The Cathedral is built of Red Tarradale Stone, with a Nave of five bays divided by columns of Peterhead granite. The High Altar and Reredos are of Caen stone. The panels in the Reredos are: the Agony in the Garden; the Crucifixion; and the Resurrection. The Pulpit is of Caen stone and green marble and rests on short columns of Abriachan granite.
The white marble Angel Font is a copy of the Kneeling Angel Font by the Danish sculptor Thorvaldsen in Copenhagen, although the face is that of Mrs Learmouth, wife of General Learmouth who gave it. There are 11 bells by Warner, restored in memory of Bishop Duncan MacInnes (1953-70).
On St Andrew’s Day 1985, a new chapel in the south aisle was dedicated to St Andrew, in memory of Norah Sessford, the wife of Bishop George Sessford.
Cathedral Contact Details;
Acting Cathedral Administrator
St Andrew’s Cathedral Office 9-11 Kenneth Street
Cathedral Pastoral Chaplain
Rev Peter Simpson